Friday, June 8, 2012

Uncle Craig's Hummus



If you've been following me here for awhile, you've already heard me talk up my Uncle Craig's culinary skills (see here...and here...and here). He's the master of garlic, of making otherwise bland-tasting vegetarian dishes into delicious soups, sandwiches and an array of other bowls of aromatic goodness. His hummus is no different. I gave up on that store-bought Athenos or stuff and have never looked back. There's something about fresh hummus that you can't get from a plastic container.


My uncles Craig and Scott are going to have their own stand at the Oshkosh Farmer's Market this year, and I can't wait to go home to visit it. Hummus won't be there, but there will be lots of other good stuff. They're gonna do great!


Ingredients
1 can chick peas, drained
Heaping tsp. toasted tahini
3-6 cloves garlic, smashed
1/2 tsp. cumin
Toasted sesame oil and olive oil, to taste


Directions
1. Drain and rinse the chick peas and transfer to a food processor.
2. Add the tahini, smashed garlic cloves and cumin.
*Note: you can add as little or as much garlic as you like. I'm a major garlic fan, so I tend to use at least 4 cloves, but it's absolutely suitable to use less depending on your taste (and if you have to be around other people after eating this stuff!)
3. Add 1 tsp. sesame oil and olive oil until you get the consistency you want. 
*Note: I tend to use a lot of olive oil at first, and then once the consistency gets close to being done, I finish it off with sesame oil. I love the flavor of the sesame oil, but it would be overpowering to use it in total place of olive oil.
**Another note: tahini is easily found at nearly all grocery stores, but if you don't plan to make this a lot and don't want to invest in a whole jar, you can leave it out and just make it with the rest of the ingredients.


Serve with carrots, bell peppers or other good dipping veggies. Or on a sandwich for extra flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment