Friday, June 8, 2012

Tuna Salad and Hummus Sandwich

Way back in the first post I ever published on this little blog, I honored my parents and the memories I have of them preparing food as my inspiration for wanting to cook. I talked about memories of my dad always in the backyard on the grill, bringing in plates of skirt steak, ribs and kabobs. I remember going grocery shopping with my mom and always buying him a cantaloupe, then proudly bringing it home for him to enjoy (I actually don't know, looking back, if my dad really liked cantaloupe or not...or where I got the idea that it was his favorite fruit?) But I loved walking around the produce section and knocking on those cantaloupes to find the ripest one...and he never turned down my little offering. 


What I don't think I mentioned are my dad's tuna salad sandwiches. They're simple, nothing too fancy, but I still love them. Just a few ingredients...hard to mess up, but it still tastes better to me when my dad makes them.


So, when I had a bunch of hummus leftover a few weeks ago, I decided to throw it on some bread with some of my dad's tuna salad for lunch. Yum!


Ingredients
1 small can tuna, in water (fully drained)
1/4 large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
Mayonnaise, to taste (2 spoonfuls or so)
Hummus

Directions
1. Drain the tuna very, very well so that all the liquid is removed. Put tuna in a small mixing bowl.
2. Dice the onion and celery and add to the bowl.
3. Throw a couple spoonfuls of mayo in the bowl and stir until well combined.
4. Spread hummus on sandwich bread, top with tuna, and enjoy!

1 comment: