Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Dukkah-Crusted Chicken Strips

I'm sure I have said it before, but I don't love chicken. I eat it because it's way healthier than red meat, but I am really picky about it. I'll eat chicken...as long as it doesn't taste too much like chicken. And this recipe does the trick. The crust is highly flavorful and versatile. You could also use it sprinkled on vegetables. I made my own version of the dukkah crust based upon this recipe because it was a mid-week dinner and I needed to use what I had in the pantry. Feel free to get creative and use different combinations of herbs and spices.

Ingredients
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup almonds, blanched
3 tbsp. sesame seeds
1/4 cup coriander seeds
1 tsp. fennel seeds
1 tbsp. black peppercorns
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. dried chives
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 cup olive oil


Directions
1. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat and toast the almonds until slightly browned and you can smell them. Set aside.
Note: Watch them closely to ensure they don't burn!
2. Combine the coriander seeds, fennel seeds, sesame seeds and black peppercorns in the same skillet and toast until fragrant but not burnt. Set aside.
3. Make sure all of the above cool completely, then pound in a mortar until crushed with the dried chives and salt. Place in a shallow dish.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
6. In another shallow dish, combine the mustard and olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
7. Cut the chicken breasts into strips. Dredge in the mustard mixture until well coated and then roll in the dukkah mix. Shake off any excess.
6. Set aside until all of the chicken is coated and then place in a shallow baking dish.
7. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the crust is golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment