Friday, June 8, 2012

Banana Bread Crepe Cake

I can't believe I didn't try my first crepe until my 20s. You'd think I'd grown up under a rock despite my mom being a caterer. But once I tried one, I knew I had found one of my favorite new breakfast foods...and desserts...and well, dinner. So here's another way to use them. And maybe the best way...with a slight banana bread flavor, sweet-but-tart creamy filling and the most amazing butterscotch topping you'll ever have. Thank you, smitten kitchen!


Ingredients
4 tbsp. butter, melted and cooled
1 large ripe banana (about 1/2 cup mashed)
1 cup milk
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
2 tbsp. light brown sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg
Pinch of ground cloves


8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract


1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp. butter, at room temperature
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (*optional)


Directions
1. Mash the banana until smooth and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the melted butter and banana.
3. Then add the milk, flour, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, salt and spices and mix until smooth.
4. Cook the crepes. Add a small amount of batter to the skillet (approximately 1/4 cup) and twirl in the pan to form a thin layer. Cook until the edges begin to turn golden and flip, cooking for a few more minutes. 
5. Remove to a plate and let crepes cool completely.


6. Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, whip the cream cheese until fluffy.
7. Mix in the yogurt, sugar and vanilla, and beat for another minute.
*Note: the original recipe did not call for this, but I had a problem with the filling being runny. It would be a good idea to refrigerate both the crepes and the filling until completely cooled. Trust me, it will make for a better presentation.


8. Once the crepes are cool, place one on the serving plate. Spread with some of the cream cheese filling and repeat until you reach the last crepe.
*Note: do not put filling on the very top!


9. To make the butterscotch topping, combine the whipping cream, brown sugar and butter in a small saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat until it boils, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Stir frequently.
10. Then add the vanilla and salt.
*Note: you can also add toasted walnuts for an added crunch. You would mix them in here.
**Note: I spooned the butterscotch topping over individual slices rather than topping the entire cake with it as the original recipe instructed because I wasn't going to be serving it all in one sitting. Since it was going to be eaten over a few days, I kept the cake refrigerated and the butterscotch in a covered container on the counter and just spooned the desired amount over each slice before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment