Monday, June 18, 2012

Coconut Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

Finally, summer in Chicago...my summer in Chicago. It's so good to be back. I knew I had been homesick when, upon return to my beloved city, I didn't even mind the 100 degree, humid air downtown or the pigeons trying to grab my lunch or the fact that I found out this morning that I need to get my wisdom teeth removed. No bad news can ruin my elation at being back for the best season in my favorite place.


So I'll share a recipe that might bring you some elation, even if you aren't back in Sweet Home, Chicago. Just don't turn that oven on to bake this if it's 100 degrees where you are!


Ingredients
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
3 very ripe bananas
3/4 cup shredded coconut
2 tsp. vanilla extract
4 oz. semisweet chocolate chips (or more if you're really craving some chocolate).


Directions
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease a loaf pan with butter and set aside.
2. Spread the shredded coconut into a thin layer on a baking sheet. Bake until the coconut starts to brown just slightly. This takes just a few minutes once the oven is preheated.
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the oil, butter and sugar. Then add the vanilla.
4. In another mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt.
5. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture slowly until just combined.
6. Blend in the mashed bananas.
7. Then add the toasted coconut and chocolate chips.
8. Bake for 1 hour and set aside on a wire rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment