Thursday, July 21, 2011

Smushed Potato Babies

I love potatoes. (Twice) baked, mashed, whipped...tater tots, french fries, wedges...you name it, I love it. And I can't control myself if there's a plate of them, in any form, sitting in front of me. I saw Rachael Ray make these little guys one morning while I was surfing through the channels, thought it a good idea to make them, then got distracted and forgot about them. But as many recipes do, it came to mind at a most random time when I wasn't thinking about anything to do with potatoes. But boy, am I glad it did. These little potato babies are the p.e.r.f.e.c.t potato combination - salty, crunchy on the outside/soft on the inside, nearly bite-sized perfections...oh, and they're quick to make, too! How's that for potato nirvana?


Ingredients
1 lb. baby potatoes
Olive oil
Salt and black pepper
Onion powder
Crushed red pepper


Directions
1. Place potatoes in a medium pot with enough generously salted water to cover.
2. Bring water to a boil over medium-high heat, and boil for five minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a large skillet.
4. Drain potatoes and set aside.
5. Place one potato at  time on a cutting board, and with the side of a large knife, gently push down on the potato until it crushes into a flat disc.
6. Once olive oil is beginning to smoke, place potatoes in the skillet and season generously with salt, black pepper, onion powder and a pinch of crushed red pepper.
7. Fry on each side about five minutes or until golden brown and crisp.

1 comment:

  1. I guess it runs in the blood...I can never get enough potatoes (in any form). Erik makes amazing herbed potatoes and whenever I am craving a starchy vegetable I always ask him to bake his specialty. I never thought of anything like these, but I must admit they sound pretty tasty! I'm going to have to make these. They seem so simple, yet so yummy.

    ReplyDelete