Thursday, July 21, 2011

Roasted Beet Salad with Honey Vinaigrette

I was recently out to dinner and had a delicious citrus salad with goat cheese...we're talking grilled watermelon, orange slices and a tangy but sweet vinaigrette. So when I found myself at home later in the week craving that exact combination...and realizing I had no watermelon (or a grill), I resorted to digging through the refrigerator and coming up with my own combination. I know this is pretty standard, but I was really pleased when I made it myself at home and it turned out. And the vinaigrette was a total guess, but it actually turned out to be a perfect complement to the spicy arugula, sweet roasted beets and tangy goat cheese. 


Oh, and I made it again the next day!


Ingredients
2 medium red beets
2 medium yellow beets
Herb goat cheese
Arugula
3 garlic scapes
1 cup olive oil
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tbsp. honey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small shallot, minced


Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Roast the beets. Here's how.
3. Wash and dry arugula in a salad spinner. Place in a large salad bowl.
4. Crumble desired amount of goat cheese onto arugula.
5. Dice the garlic scapes into thin slices and sprinkle into bowl.
6. Combine the shallot, garlic, vinegar and honey in a measuring cup. Slowly whisk olive oil into mixture to make the vinaigrette. Set aside.
7. Once beets are roasted, cooled and peeled, slice them into bite-size pieces and add into salad.
8. Pour vinaigrette over salad and toss.

No comments:

Post a Comment