Friday, May 4, 2012

Lime Cake


When I found this recipe while perusing smitten kitchen, it reminded me of a very successful lemon cake I have made a few times. I thought it might be a faster, smaller version of the cake to make for weekend guests. Enter a weekend a few months back when my best friend was coming to visit (who happens to love key lime pie), and I had the perfect opportunity to try it out.

Needless to say, I didn't fall in love like I have with the lemon cake. It was good, don't get me wrong, but the blackberry sauce is very tart, and make sure you like the tartness of limes too. It was very refreshing though, and a perfect cake for summer.

(That reminds me: I've never added the lemon cake recipe to the blog. I'll make it again if I have some takers to come over and eat it with me! Anyone?!)

Ingredients
For the cake:
1 cup whole milk plain yogurt, unsweetened
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
Zest of one lime
1/4 lime juice
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt

For the sauce:
12 oz. fresh blackberries
1/4 cup water
3 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. fresh lime juice

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan, and grease both the sides and the paper on the bottom.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the yogurt, oil, sugar, lime zest and juice.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, combing well after each addition.
4. In another mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. 
5. Add to the yogurt mixture and stir until just combined. 
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean
7. Let stand for 10 minutes, and then invert onto a cooling rack, running your knife along the sides of the pan before turning it over to make sure that nothing sticks. 
8. Remove the parchment paper and flip back over to cool.
9. While the cake is cooling, prepare the sauce by combining the blackberries, water, sugar and lime juice in a food processor.
10. Puree until very smooth.
11. To remove the seeds, push the puree through a fine mesh strainer over a bowl.
 
12. Cover and refrigerate until cold. 
13. Serve the cake slightly warm or at room temperature with the sauce drizzled on top. 

No comments:

Post a Comment