Monday, May 7, 2012

Lemon-Parmesan Tilapia


It's funny to stop and think about how I fell in love with cooking. Despite growing up with  a mother who catered for years, it never struck me that I could actually make her recipes on my own rather than having to wait to visit and then ask her...beg her...to make my favorites. So in college, when I finally had an apartment and was out of the dorms (sorry Garner Hall...I didn't love you as much as everyone else), I began really exploring recipes. Now, six years later, I can't believe there was a time when I didn't do this! While my tastes have changed and I have a greater awareness of ingredients (thanks to Food Network, fresh farmers' markets and living in urban areas with great, non-chain restaurants), this is an "oldie but goodie" recipe that I still make every once in awhile...despite it being the most unhealthy fish recipe I have in my arsenal!

Ingredients
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
3 tbsp. mayonnaise
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. black pepper  
1/8 tsp. onion powder
1/8 tsp. celery salt
4 tilapia fillets

Directions
1. Preheat the oven's broiler.
2. In a small bowl, combine the butter, mayonnaise and lemon juice.
3. Season with dried basil, black pepper, onion powder and celery salt.
4. Add the parmesan cheese and stir well.
5. Arrange the tilapia filets in a single layer in a 9x13" casserole dish.
6. Broil for 2-3 minutes and flip, broiling for another 2 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and cover with the cheese mixture.
8. Broil for another 2-3 minutes until the topping is crisp and golden brown. It will sizzle slightly.
9. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment