Thursday, October 27, 2011

Balsamic-Glazed Pork Loin


I love Asian-inspired dishes, especially when they involve meat. I love everything from Korean BBQ short ribs to tangy sesame chicken to miso soup or fried rice. So when my friend Sonja had me over for dinner and made this pork loin, I knew it would become a fast-favorite (she also gave me the recipe for a delicious winter soup, which I posted awhile back). I'm also loving my crock pot these days, so the ease of making this juicy, shredded pork also pulled it to the top of my list. After having the pork at Sonja's house, I made it twice in the next two weeks. And I'm nearly ready to make it again!

Ingredients
2 lb. boneless pork loin
1 tsp ground sage
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup water


Glaze:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp. soy sauce


Directions
1. Mince the garlic cloves and combine in a bowl with sage, salt and pepper.
2. Rub over pork loin on all sides.
3. Place pork in a crock pot and add 1/2 cup of water.
4. Cook on low for 8 hours.
5. After 7 hours (or 1 hour prior to the loin being done), combine the ingredients for the glaze in small saucepan. Heat and stir until the mixture thickens.
6. Brush the pork with the glaze two or three times during the last hour of cooking (every 15 minutes or so.)
*Note: I attempt to turn the pork in the crock pot after each brushing of glaze to ensure it gets coated evenly. You'll notice the glaze start to darken and give the pork a nice crust.
7. When the pork is done, shred with a fork and toss in the extra glaze.



1 comment: