Monday, June 27, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

As I mentioned in my last post, I have been inspired by the farmer's markets lately. Combine that with a trip to my grandparents' house for Father's Day (and my grandpa's LOVE for pie), and I knew I had another pie project on my hands.


After consulting with my dad, I learned that my grandpa's favorite pie is strawberry rhubarb. Having never had a strawberry rhubarb pie that I actually liked, I was a little worried about how I was going to make a pie for him that he would like and that I could be proud of. 


After much searching (and a stop at the market for f-r-e-s-h ingredients), I began my pie project. And boy, was I pleased! I cut down on the ratio of rhubarb to strawberries, so I could hardly taste the rhubarb itself...it just adds a tart note in each bite. But I'd venture to say that the strawberries steal the show...


Ingredients
For the crust:
See here for directions on making some goo-oo-ood pie crust


For the filling:
2 pints fresh strawberries
3 medium rhubarb stalks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
Zest and juice of half a lemon
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
2 tbsp. butter
1 egg white


Directions
1. Make the pie crust according to the directions at the above link.
2. Preheat the oven to 4oo degrees.
3. Remove the stems from the strawberries. Slice each strawberry in half, and then each half into fourths. If you find some small strawberries, just halve them.
4. Remove the ends from the rhubarb, cut in half lengthwise and dice into cubes similar to the strawberries.
5. Place strawberries and rhubarb in a medium mixing bowl.
6. Zest and juice half a lemon into the bowl.
7. Add the sugars, salt and tapioca pearls. Combine with a large spoon or spatula.
8. Roll out your bottom pie crust and place it in a well-greased pie dish. 
9. Spoon the filling into the pie and spread until evenly dispersed.
10. Cut the butter into cubes and place them over the filling around the dish.
11. Lattice the pie with the second half of your dough. Use the tines of your fork to make decorative marks around the outer crust of the pie.
12. Separate the egg white into a small bowl and add a touch of water. Whisk together with a fork, and using a pastry brush, spread the wash over the pie crust.
13. Cover the edges of the pie with aluminum foil.
14. Bake for 20 minutes.
15. Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for another 30 minutes, removing the foil when there are 20 minutes left in baking time.
*Note: as the pie cools, the tapioca will act to stiffen the juices and create a thicker filling.
My only regret is not getting a photo of my grandpa and I eating the pie. It was a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment