Monday, May 2, 2011

Lettuce Wraps and Asian "Slaw"

Despite the fact that I live in a big city with countless restaurant options, when it comes to Chinese food, I return time and time again to an old favorite...a chain restaurant nonetheless. Can you guess? Yes, yes, I'll admit it. PF Changs.


So when I made this recipe for asian lettuce wraps, I was surprised at how much it satisfied that asian-tooth craving. It may not be quite the same as those amazing wraps at PF, but at least I know what's in it. And when served with a crispy, fresh side dish (check out the Asian "slaw" combo my mealtime co-conspirator (ahem, ahem, Jen) came up with). Give it a shot!


Lettuce Wraps:
Ingredients
1 head boston lettuce
1 lb. ground chicken
2 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
3 scallions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3-4 tbsp. pine nuts
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
Olive oil (or 2 tbsp. toasted sesame oil if you have it on-hand)
Salt and pepper


Directions
1. Remove leaves from lettuce core. Rinse and pat dry. Set aside.

2. Heat olive oil (or sesame oil, if using) in a skillet over medium heat. Saute the ground chicken until brown.
*Note: I usually add a generous amount of salt and pepper to meat prior to cooking (in order to give it some flavor), but considering the salt content and flavorings in the soy and hoisin sauces, I chose to leave it out. I didn't miss it.
3. While the chicken browns, mince the ginger and garlic, and chop the scallions (white and green parts).
4. Once the meat is nearly browned, add the ginger, garlic, scallions, pine nuts and soy and hoisin sauces and saute for one more minute.
5. Remove from heat and pack into lettuce leaves.


Asian "Slaw"
Ingredients
1 english cucumber, peeled
3 medium carrots, peeled
1 small jicama, peeled
3 scallions
Vinegar
Salt


Directions
1. Peel the cucumber, carrots and jicama.
2. With the small end of a grater, shred the vegetables one at a time into a paper towel.
3. After each vegetable is shredded, squeeze the paper towel and allow excess water to drain from the veggies.
4. Place in a bowl and add diced scallions.
5. Salt generously and add vinegar to coat.
6. Allow to sit for a few minutes while you throw together the lettuce wraps.
7. Serve on the side or on top of the wraps for an added crunch.
*Note: I shredded the vegetables this time around to achieve that coleslaw-like texture, but I would say that next time, I'm going to go ahead and dice up the veggies. I think they might hold up to the vinegar better, release a little less water and their flavors might stand out more. If you try it this way, let me know how it turns out!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I just made these and they were SO good! Much easier than any other lettuce wrap recipe that I've tried. Next time I'll add some water chestnuts for crunch. Great recipe! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked them! I just made them again and (as you'll see in the adapted recipe above), added some pine nuts for crunch. Water chestnuts would be delicious, too! Great thought...looking forward to seeing you all in July :)

    ReplyDelete