Sunday, January 30, 2011

Slow-Cooker Vegetable Chili


If you know me, you know I'm not a football girl. But I can certainly get excited about a game if there is a lot of hype around me. So when the Bears played the Packers last weekend, I thought it would be fun to watch the game with friends. And what good is a gathering without food? I found this recipe for slow-cooker chili from the Real Simple website (which I love, by the way). It was so easy to prepare ahead of time, and I thought it turned out so delicious. For a meatless chili, it had all the "oomph" you'd expect from a more traditional recipe. And I loved the fresh, cold, crunchy toppings combined with the hot chili. Yum!


Ingredients
1 medium red onion, diced
2 bell peppers, diced
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
28 oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
15.5 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
15.5 oz kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
Salt and pepper
*For garnish, I used thinly sliced radishes, sliced scallions, diced avocados and sour cream.


Directions
1. Prepare the vegetables.
2. In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, add all of the vegetables, beans and seasonings. 



3. Add one cup of water to the slow cooker. Mix to combine.
4. Cover and cook for 4 to 5 hours (on high heat) or 7 to 8 hours (on low heat).
5. Serve with desired toppings. Real Simple also suggested serving it with tortilla chips.
Suwanski liked it...much more than she liked the Bears losing to the Packers.

2 comments:

  1. That chili was soooo yummy! I am going to have to try some of these recipes..I knew you liked to cook but it turns out you are good at it too!

    ReplyDelete