Sunday, January 30, 2011

Lemon Ricotta Cookies


Isn't it funny how our tastes change as we get older? I am convinced that if you had asked me as a child if I liked lemon desserts, I would have scrunched my face and shouted a big "Yuck!" But ask me now what my favorite desserts are and they will usually involve the words "lemon" or "raspberry."


I found this recipe for Lemon Ricotta cookies on the Food Network website. They did a 12 Days of Cookies countdown around the holidays, and Day 5 introduced this delicious recipe from Giada DeLaurentis. I had high hopes, but having never used ricotta cheese in a baking recipe before, I was unsure if I would like the taste and texture. Boy, am I glad I tried these. They are definitely a new favorite - almost cake-like, they have some similarities with the Pumpkin Butterscotch cookies I've come to love. Try them - you won't be disappointed!


Ingredients
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 stick butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
15 oz. whole-milk ricotta cheese
3 tbsp. lemon juice (about 2-3 lemons, depending on their size)
Zest of one lemon


Glaze:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 tbsp. lemon juice
Zest of one lemon


*Note: if you can find Meyer Lemons at your local grocery store, I suggest using them. They are a cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange and provide a sweeter flavor than a traditional lemon...perfect for baking!


Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In a medium bowl with a hand- or stand-mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
4. Add the eggs one at a time and mix until combined.
5. Add the ricotta cheese, lemon juice and zest. Mix until just combined.
6. Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined.


This dough is extremely sticky, so here's how I formed the cookie batter into balls:
7. Place a 1/2 cup or so of flour in a small bowl.
8. Rub the flour on clean hands and on a spoon.
9. Using the floured spoon, scoop out about one tsp. worth of batter from the mixing bowl.
10. With floured hands, form the batter into a ball and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
11. Repeat this with all of the cookie batter, re-flouring your hands and the spoon after 2 or 3 cookies.


12. Bake the cookies for 15 minutes until just golden on the edges.
13. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes on the baking sheet. Then remove to a wire rack to cool completely, approximately 15 more minutes.
14. Meanwhile, prepare the glaze. Combine the powdered sugar, lemon juice and zest in a small bowl.
15. Once the cookies have cooled, spoon 1 tsp. of glaze on each cookie and spread to the edges with the back of the spoon.
16. Let glazed cookies sit at room temperature for 2 hours in order for the glaze to harden. Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days; they also store well in the freezer for up to a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment