Thursday, January 5, 2012

Nutella-Marshmallow Puffs

Despite my mom's passion for all things cooking and baking during my childhood, I have to admit that I think I was cheated. Nevermind the scraps of chocolate cake that I was allowed to eat for breakfast, or the extra buttercream frosting that my sister and I were permitted to lick off the beaters...or the homemade birthday cakes and endless number of school projects that somehow incorporated food (think a science project involving an alligator made of artichoke leaves).


The tragedy? I hadn't tasted, or even heard of, Nutella until just a couple of years ago. I know, I know...sad, right? But trust me. I've made up for lost time.


I love this recipe, not only because it involves my favorite chocolate-hazelnut cream but because it only requires three ingredients. Well, five, if you're counting an egg and some sugar for sprinkling. They are fail-proof, and so easy to throw in the oven before company arrives...or, in my case, a friend coming over to cram for first semester finals.


Ingredients
1 package Pepperidge Farm puff pastry sheets
Nutella spread
Mini marshmallows
1 egg white
Granulated sugar, for sprinkling


Directions
1. Thaw the puff pastry sheets according to package directions, either overnight in the refrigerator or at room temperature for approximately 45 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
3. Cut each pastry sheet into four equal squares (you will have eight total).
4. Spoon your desired amount of Nutella into the center of each square, careful to leave a border on all sides.
5. Top the Nutella with mini marshmallows. I can usually manage 12-15 marshmallows nicely packed onto each pastry sheet.
6. Fold each puff pastry sheet into a triangle.
7. Crimp the edges with a fork to form a seal.
8. Whisk the egg white with a little water, and brush over the top of each triangle. Sprinkle with granulated sugar.
9. Bake on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet for 25 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.
10. Let cool for five minutes and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment