Sunday, January 29, 2012

Creamy Chicken Pockets

I have memories of my mom heating up chicken pot pie when I was a little kid, and I have long desired to find a recipe that conjurs up the same taste and smell (like this one, which was good, no doubt). As I write this, I realize I could just ask my mom for hers, but 1) she hasn't made it in a long time and 2) things still just taste better when my mom makes them! But I came across this recipe on Pinterest and, after making several changes, I realized I have an easy version of chicken pot pie that may not be the same as my mom's but is still stinkin' good.


Ingredients
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
1/2 large onion, finely chopped
2 large carrots
1/2 bag frozen peas
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. butter, at room temperature
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
Salt and black pepper
Blend of dried herbs (any that you like)
Olive oil
2 tbsp. milk
8 oz. refrigerated butter crescent rolls


Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Dice the chicken breasts into bite-size cubes and season with salt, black pepper and dried herbs.
3. On another cutting board, dice the onions and carrots. Mince the garlic.
4. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
5. Saute the chicken until brown. Set aside.
6. Saute the onion and carrots until tender, adding the garlic and peas in the last few minutes.
7. In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese and softened butter until smooth.
8. Stir in the chicken and vegetables. Add the milk and season with salt and pepper.
9. Divide the crescent roll dough into eight triangles and place a generous amount of filling onto each. Fold the corners up and around to seal, pressing firmly.
10. Transfer to the baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.

1 comment: