Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Peppermint Patties



I found this recipe about three years ago when I was attempting to expand my Christmas-treat-repertoire. But when I tried to make them, I did not allow myself enough time and ended up botching the recipe. Needless to say, my frustration held any desire to make these again at bay...until this year. With more time (and patience), I was able to complete the recipe successfully...and, if I do say so myself, these may be my favorite treat of Christmas 2010!


Ingredients
14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
1 tbsp. peppermint extract
6 cups powdered sugar
3-4 boxes Baker's semisweet chocolate


Directions
1. In a medium bowl, combine the milk and peppermint extract.
2. Slowly add the powdered sugar and mix with stand- or hand-mixer until combined.
3. Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and knead on a surface sprinkled with powdered sugar until dough is stiff (the stiffer the better when it comes to dipping it later). Add more powdered sugar while kneading if the dough is sticky.


4. Roll to 1/4-inch thick.


5. Using a small circular cookie cutter, cut the dough into small circles (no bigger than 1 inch or they will fall apart when you dip them). I have never been able to find a small enough cookie cutter, so I used the screw-off top of my balsamic vinegar (I made sure to rinse it well to avoid a weird balsamic-flavored peppermint patty!) You can also use a screw-off wine bottle cap.


6. Once all the patties are cut, re-roll the dough and cut out more (as you would with cut-out cookies). Repeat until all the dough has been used.
7. Place the patties on wax paper and let them dry at room temperature for at least two hours on each side (four hours total).


8. Once the patties are dry, melt the Baker's chocolate in a double boiler (a pot of boiling water with a glass bowl resting over it. Make sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching any water, or it will burn the chocolate). If you cannot find Baker's chocolate, you can use semi-sweet chocolate chips but melt them with 1 tbsp. of shortening for every 6 oz. of chips.
9. Once the chocolate is melted, remove from heat. Keep the glass dish over the pot of water while dipping to keep the chocolate hot.


10. Coat the patties in the melted chocolate. I use two forks, placing the patty on one and dipping it completely into the chocolate, then moving the patty back and forth between forks to let any excess chocolate fall back into the bowl.
11. Place dipped patties on wax paper until the chocolate is hardened. Store in an airtight container.

1 comment:

  1. These homemade are much better than the real thing!

    ReplyDelete