Saturday, December 4, 2010

Creamy Tomato Soup and Ultimate Grilled Cheese


I have fond memories from childhood of my dad standing over the grill flipping skirt steaks and kabobs or putting together tuna fish sandwiches. And I remember complaining to him my freshman year of college about the dorm food I was stuck eating. He listened, sympathized (he went to U of I, too) and then recommended the tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.


To this day, I think of my dad every time I have tomato soup. And it's usually accompanied with the melty, gooey-goodness of grilled cheese. This one' s for you, Dad.


Ingredients
1/2 white onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large carrot, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 tbsp. flour
2 (28 oz) cans Hunts fire-roasted tomatoes with garlic
3 cups vegetable broth
1 tbsp. each dried basil and thyme
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream


Directions
1. In a large pot, heat olive oil.
2. While the oil heats, chop the onion and mince the garlic.
3. Add the onion and garlic to the pot, season with salt and saute until tender (about 5 minutes).
4. Chop the celery and carrots.
5. Add celery and carrots to the pot, and cook until tender.
6. Add the flour, and stir to combine.
7. Add the tomatoes (do not drain), and add the broth.
8. Add basil, thyme, salt and pepper.
9. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
10. Let cool 10 minutes, then blend with an immersion blender.
My immersion blender:
If you like to make soups, you have to have this tool!
11. Add heavy whipping cream and stir.


Ultimate Grilled Cheese
Who doesn't like to dunk a little grilled cheese into their tomato soup? I'm sure we all have our favorite way of making this delightful sandwich, but here is how I like it:


Ingredients
2 slices fresh bread
2 slices Gruyere cheese
2 slices White Cheddar cheese
1 slice white onion
2 strips turkey bacon


Directions
1. Cook turkey bacon in a small skillet until crisp.
2. Butter both sides of each slice of bread.
3. Lay slices of both cheeses on one side.
4. Add onion and turkey bacon.
5. Top with second slice of bread.
6. Heat a grill pan (or skillet) and place sandwich on heated surface.
7. Flip at desired done-ness and cook the other side.
8. Cook until the cheese is melted and the sandwich sticks together.

1 comment:

  1. Great work. I really appreciate your quality work. Thank you so much for sharing this superb blog, this is really helped me a lot.
    panini press
    vegetable sandwich
    panini machines
    top rated panini maker

    ReplyDelete