Monday, November 22, 2010

Sugar & Spice Pecans



As Thanksgiving approaches, I am reminded that there is so much to be thankful for. I will be traveling with my sister to be with my dad and grandparents for the holiday, and I am so thankful for my loving, healthy family. I am also thankful that there is no question that we will have food on the table for the holiday - and not just food, but good food in abundance. As I prepare for the Thanksgiving holiday, I am reminded of the many people on the streets of Chicago and around the world that will go hungry this holiday. And I am that much more grateful for God's provision in my life.


Also in preparation for the holiday season...holiday baking! As much as my dad tells me not to worry about bringing anything for Thanksgiving, I cannot go empty-handed. My grandpa has a sweet tooth, and I thought of this recipe that I am sure he will enjoy.


Not only are these pecans festive for the holiday season, but as they bake in the oven, they make the whole apartment smell great (yes, they remind me of a holiday candle). They're easy, they're tasty and you might have to make more once you try a handful. The recipe comes from my aunt Chris' mom, Rita, and after trying her recipe once, I have made them every year.


Ingredients
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 egg white
2 1/2 tbsp. water
8 cups pecan halves (typically, this is two large bags)


Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 275 degrees.
2. Combine the first six ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
3. Add the egg white and water to the bowl and stir to make a glaze.


4. Add the pecans to the bowl and stir until evenly coated.
5. Pour the pecans onto a baking sheet and spread into an even layer. Make sure you get all the extra glaze out of the bowl and onto the pecans.


6. Bake the pecans for 50-55 minutes. After 20-25 minutes of baking, take the baking sheet out of the oven and stir the pecans to ensure that they bake evenly on all sides. Place the pecans back in the oven.
7. After 50-55 minutes, remove the baking sheet from the oven and set aside to cool.
8. Once cooled, store the pecans in an airtight container.

3 comments:

  1. I am thankful that we had these on the table to eat this past weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and grandpa ate them all! Guess I'll have to double the recipe next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made these for the first time!

    ReplyDelete