Thursday, November 11, 2010

Slow Cooker Texas Chili





I found this recipe on the Food Network website when the weather was getting colder...before this Indian summer we are experiencing here in Chicago. Amidst all of the soup-making this season, I was finally able to try it. And I thought it turned out great! I changed the original recipe around a little bit, so here is how I ended up making it:

Ingredients
2 1/4 lbs beef chuck
1 large white onion, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 orange bell pepper, diced
2 (4 oz.) cans diced green chiles, drained
3 (10 oz.) cans Rotel tomatoes with chiles

3 tbsp. packed light brown sugar
1 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. ground cumin

1/4 cup chili powder
1 1/2 cups water
Olive oil
Sour cream and freshly grated cheddar cheese for serving

Directions
1. Cut beef into 2-inch cubes and place in medium bowl. (Try to find a cut of beef with some marbling, as it will end up being more tender when cooked than a cut with no fat).
2. Add 2 tbsp. brown sugar and 1 tbsp. salt into the bowl and mix into beef.

3. Heat 4-5 tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once heated, cook beef in batches until browned on all sides (approximately 4-5 minutes). Do not crowd the pan or the beef won't cook evenly. Transfer the browned beef into the slow cooker.

4. While the beef is browning, dice the onion and garlic and drain the chiles.
5. Once the beef is all browned and transferred to the slow cooker, reduce heat to medium and add the onions. Cook until soft (approximately 5 minutes).

6. Add the bell pepper, garlic, chiles, cumin and chili powder. Cook for 3 minutes.
7. Add 1 1/2 cups water and the Rotel tomatoes. Simmer for 3 minutes, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet (there is a lot of flavor there!)



8. Transfer to the slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 7 hours.

9. Prior to serving, stir in 1 tbsp. brown sugar.
10. Serve into bowl and top with one dollop of sour cream and freshly grated cheddar cheese.

*You can also serve this chili with sliced scallions or fresh cilantro, depending on your preference and what you have available.
**I cut down on the heat from the original recipe and found it to still have a little kick. But if you really like it hot, the original recipe called for 3/4 cup of chili powder and 2 tbsp. of hot sauce.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kristen.
    I've been following your awesome recipes. I just wanted to let you know I made this for my husband and he loved it! Thanks for all your great recipes... keep them coming! I'm a fan! Hope everything is going well.

    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I missed this comment! Hey Carla!! I'm so glad you tried this awhile back and that your hubby liked it. Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete