Saturday, December 15, 2012

Creamy Pumpkin Cookies


Second semester, second year of the doc program...is over! A few more days at work and the holidays can truly begin. Somehow, I survived the most rigorous semester of my life, and while I haven't been as active posting recipes, I'm looking back through my photos and realizing that I still managed to keep myself busy in the kitchen in whatever spare time I must have had.

So here come a few pumpkin recipes from the fall...better late than never, right? These cookies were surprisingly good - I love when cookies plump up twice their size in the oven!

Ingredients
Cookies
1 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup canned pumpkin
1 tsp. vanilla
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt

Icing
Powdered sugar
Milk
Vanilla extract

Directions
1. Combine the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until creamy.
2. Add the egg, pumpkin, and vanilla, and beat until well-combined.
3. Reduce the speed to low and add the dry ingredients.
4. Beat until just combined.
5. Divide the dough in half and wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least two hours until firm.

6. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
7. On a well-floured surface (with a well-floured rolling pin), roll out one-half of the dough at a time to about 1/4" thick.
8. Cut with a cookie cutter in whatever shape you like.
9. Place on baking sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges begin to brown. 
*Note: my batch baked for the full 10 minutes and even then were just browned.
10. Cool on a wire rack.

11. Once the cookies are cooled, prepare the icing.
12. Put 2 cups powdered sugar in a medium mixing bowl.
13. Add just enough milk and vanilla extract to get the desired consistency...I like my icing on the thicker side.
14. Spread generously on top of the cookies and let harden.

No comments:

Post a Comment