Saturday, November 16, 2013

Mexican Quinoa Bowl

Ever been to the Protein Bar? They have a really good buffalo quinoa bowl with celery, carrots, cucumbers, chicken, buffalo sauce, and blue cheese. It inspired me to make a quinoa bowl of my own, since I could make it in bulk and eat throughout the week. Here's my version with Mexican flavors. I'll let you know when I get around to an attempt to replicate the buffalo version.

Ingredients
For the bowl:
2 cups cooked quinoa
1 can black beans
1 can rotel
1 can whole-kernel corn
1 can diced chiles
1 bell pepper
1/2 jalapeno, seeds removed
Cilantro

For the dressing:
Juice of 1 lime
Red wine vinegar
Olive oil
Salt and black pepper
Chipotle pepper
Ancho chili powder
2 cloves garlic

For garnish:

Sour cream
Cotija cheese
Green and/or red salsa
Avocado


Directions
1. Cook quinoa according to package directions, and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
*Note: I use chicken broth instead of water for added flavor.
2. Drain and rinse black beans and corn, and add to quinoa.
3. Dice bell pepper and jalapeno, and add to quinoa mixture along with 1 can rotel.
4. Chop desired amount of cilantro (to taste), and mix well into quinoa mixture to combine.

5. For the dressing, whisk together juice of 1 lime and equal parts red wine vinegar and olive oil.
6. Mince two cloves garlic and add to viniagrette, along with desired amounts of salt and three peppers.
7. Pour over warm quinoa and toss to combine.
8. Serve warm or refrigerate for several days and eat as desired.
9. Top with desired toppings. I like a dollop of sour cream, shredded cotija cheese, salsa, and fresh avocado.

1 comment:

  1. Protein bar is SO GOOD but I bet this is even better! I'm dying to make this. You're inspiring me to go to the grocery tonight :)

    ReplyDelete